Inca Trail – 2D/1N
This condensed version of the Classic Inca Trail hike is perfect for those who are big on adventure, but a little short on time or may not want all the fuss of sleeping in a tent. This tour will take you from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu by train and a little bit by foot, stopping at Chachabamba and Wiñay Wayna along the way.
- Travel on the Inca Trail is very popular and needs to be reserved several months in advance.
- Government regulations require a copy of a full passport and full payment before tickets can be issued.
- There is no guarantee of availability, even for this shortened version.
day 1 : ollantaytambo- km 104 – machu picchu
- We pick you up from your hotel at 5:40am to take you to the Ollantaytambo train station. After two and a half hours on the train, we will reach kilometer 104 – the start of the Inca trail.
- From here, we will visit the site of Chachabamba and then walk four hours to Wiñay Wayna (Forever Young) where we will have lunch.
- After lunch, we will continue for one more hour to Inti Punku, The Sun gate, where we will get our first view of Machu Picchu.
- After spending some time there, you will have the option to walk or take a shuttle to Aguas Calientes where you will check into your hotel and enjoy dinner on your own.
day 2 : Machu picchu – Cusco
- After breakfast, we will take the first bus up to Machu Picchu (around 5:30am). Your guide will give a two-hour guided tour of city’s highlights.
- After the tour, you will be able to explore Machu Picchu on your own. If you have purchased a ticket in advance for an optional excursion (Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain), you can begin that hike at this time.
- After taking your time exploring the city, you will take the bus back to Aguas Calientes to meet your guide. Together, you will go back to the train station for the ride back to Ollantaytambo.
- All transportation (car, train, bus)
- All entrance fees including Inca Trail Permit
- English speaking guide
- Boxed lunch Day 1 (can accommodate dietary restrictions with proper notice)
- Basic First Aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Dinner on Day 1 in Aguas Calientes
- Accommodation in Aguas Calientes in a three star hotel (Double occupancy. Single occupancy available for additional charge)
- Meals, Day 2
- Ticket for Machu Picchu Mountain or Huayna Picchu optional climb (can be purchased for you for additional fee IN ADVANCE)
- Tips for the guide, cook and porters. (Please see our guide for tipping here)
- Alcoholic Beverages of any kind
- Travel insurance
- Walking Sticks (can be rented for an additional fee)
Total Distance: 13km/8.08 miles (6-7 miles/day) – will be more depending on how long you want to spend in Machu Picchu.
Difficulty: Moderate/Challenging – mostly uphill
Elevation: Minimum: 2040m/6693ft Maximum: 2600m/8530ft
Weather: Chilly early; warm while walking midday; cold in the evening. Rain likely.
Please Note: Price includes cost of the trek only. First Step Expeditions can reserve hotels and other tours for an additional fee.
2 People: $510/person
4 People: $425/person
6+ People: $390/person
Students with ISIC card have $30 discount
All prices based on double occupancy at three star hotels. Requests for alternative accommodations will be honored for an additional fee.
Walking sticks: $12
Huayna Picchu OR Machu Picchu Mountain Climb: $65